A WORK IN PROGRESS
terminology…some I like, some, not so much…
- = Autistic Spectrum Disorder (disorder? Only according to societal standards)
- = Hans Asperger (1944) – studied autism, mainly in boys, it was his ‘discovery’ (ASD always been here) and named after him.
- = The Camouflage Hypothesis.
- Females on the spectrum develop social coping skills and blend in by imitating/mimicking other peoples behaviour.
- cognitive empathy = the ability to understand another’s perspective – perspective taking.
- affective/emotional empathy = feeling what another feels, can also relate to compasion for another.
- = see camouflaging
- (bleurgh!) anyone who isn’t neuro-divergent – divergent from the societal ‘norm’
- theory of mind
- = self-stimulating behaviour (which sounds rude) – relates to the need for stimulation, be it twirling or rubbing jewellery, or even repeating certain words, and is a source of pleasure (it’s really not meant to be rude, promise!).